Monday, July 19, 2010

No Bake Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies



The first time I ever had No Bake Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies I was in eleventh grade. I was 'in love' with my high school sweetheart, and his mother made a batch of these cookies and I declare, I think I forgot all about her son with my first bite. Of course, the cookies were eaten and I came back down to earth and once again mooned over her son. This happened periodically over the next year and a half - the duration of our courtship. But eventually, I out grew that romance. But I NEVER outgrew my love for these cookies!


Mrs. 'M' gave me her recipe for Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies, but over time the scrap of paper was lost. For many years, I was Choc-Oatmeal-Cookie-less. But as luck would have it, I purchased a cookbook on one of my many trips to the mountains, and low and behold, there was a recipe identical to Mrs. M's recipe. I have since also found the same recipe on several cooking/recipe sites on the web.

Now, these cookies are a Christmas tradition at my house. Usually, a couple of weeks before Christmas I make several different kinds of cookies, and this one is one of the favorites. And sometimes, I can't wait for Christmas time, and I make a batch just for my pure enjoyment. 


Warning: Occasionally, no matter how closely you follow the recipe, and no matter how carefully you measure the ingredients, or how carefully you time the boiling, these cookies will simply not turn out right. They will sometimes just not 'set'. They will end up a gooey, gloppy, mess. However; I have learned that even if they do end up a ooey-gooey mess that can't be picked up without the aid of a spoon, the are still delicious! Just put them in a bowl or on a plate and eat them with your spoon!



My version of No-Bake Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies

Ingredients:
2 cups sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup cocoa
1/2 cup milk (whole works best)
1/4 cup butter
2 cups minute oats
1/2 cup peanut butter
1 tsp vanilla


                  


Directions:

1. Mix sugar, salt & cocoa in saucepan.
2.  Add milk and butter; mix well and bring to a boil over medium heat.


3. Remove from heat and add remaining ingredients. Mix well... 
...mix until the peanut butter is all dissolved. The mixture will start feeling thick. 
4. Drop dough in scoop or spoonfuls onto wax paper... 
...be sure not to waste a single morsel! 
The 'perfect' cookie is about 1.5" to 2" in diameter, 'sets', and is glossy until it dries. Store uneaten cookies in air tight containers for a day or two. If there are uneaten cookies after day two, move them to the 'fridge. They are delicious both hot and chilled!

Kitt Cat's Simple Notes:
* use chunky peanut butter for a nutty take on these cookies!
*eat these cookies soon, they don't store well
*will keep longer if stored in a plastic zip bag and stored in the fridge

No comments:

Post a Comment